Sunday, August 26, 2012

What is 21st Century Education?

This YouTube video about 21st century education is quite interesting.  It gives me chills because it scares me and excites me at the same time.  It makes me wonder, "What will this mean for me/my students in the next 5 years?  10 years?  Next year?"  "What does this mean for Christian education?"  Check out the video and see what you think: 
Points that stuck with me:
  • Many of the top jobs in 2012 didn't exist in 2002.
  • Many of the jobs students will have don't even exist yet.
  • And they'll use technologies that haven't been invented yet.
  • Preparing students for the 21st century isn't just about technology.
How do we prepare our students for the future when we don't really know what things will be like when they graduate?  We don't know what jobs or technologies will be available.

What I do know is that the role of teacher is changing and I cannot teach the way I was taught.  I must (as www.p21.org says) "fuse the 3 R's and 4 C's."  As you know, the 3 R's are reading, writing, and arithmetic.  The 4 C's are as follows:
  1. Critical Thinking (Problem-solving)
  2. Communication
  3. Collaboration
  4. Creativity (Innovation)  
So, how do I effectively teach critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity to my digital natives?  Well, I'm not exactly sure right now, but it's something I'll be thinking about throughout this year.

Comments/ideas/suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment